1/72 Tarangus SAAB J 29B "Flying Barrel" - FINISHED!

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/72 Tarangus SAAB J 29B "Flying Barrel" - FINISHED!

Postby Swede » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:49 pm

I don't know if you have plastic modelling kits of this brand in Australia, and to be honest this is my very first from Tarangus, which is a Swedish company. Even I didn't know it even existed until two years ago!

First I bought the French Heller kit, but both the kit and the decals didn't look that good to me so I stopped by the local hobby store after work one day and bought this one instead. I wanted to build a SAAB J 29B that served with the UN forces in Kongo during the 1960's, and both kits offer this decal option.

One big problem will be the very limited space in the nose area for the ballast. You can see the size of the space compared to that of an air rifle bullet. Also the kit doesn't state just how much ballast is needed for this particular kit, so here I'm entering totally unknown territory.

I'll see just how this build goes along. I'm starting it today at a slow pace just to get a feel for the Tarangus kit and for this particular brand. Just maybe I'll buy another kit from Tarangus if this build turns out good.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Last edited by Swede on Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVEN EXPERTS HAVE BEEN BEGINNERS
Swede
Devotee

Re: WIP 1/72 Tarangus SAAB J 29B "Flying Barrel"

Postby Swede » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:11 am

The build has started.

One problem before I start with the cockpit are the two big "dots" sticking out. They have to be removed. The wing assembly has the very same problem...two ugly "dots" sticking out.

I found a way to make the air rifle bullets fit and that was to hammer them flat. But I still don't know the amount ballast needed, I assume it is about the same as for the Airfix Me 262A-1a kit in the same scale, about five gramms. But just in case I have prepared 30 gramms of ballast, that can be glued onto the cockpit assembly and the main landing gear bays.

I'm gonna put down a lot of work on the cockpit before I add the ballast and close the entire fuselage.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:36 pm

There won't be another Tarangus kit for me, that's for sure. If I put it this way, this isn't exactly a Tamiya kit!

But with a little effort and hard work I've finally assembled the entire fuselage, including wings and tail fin. But as I wrote, it takes a lot of work to get it this good, and still I'm not exactly pleased with this result.

I added about 15 gramms of ballast to the nose area, and hammering the air rifle bullets flat really saved me a lot of space. In this case it is a total of 30 soft air gun bullet glued to the bottom of the cockpit assemble and a few other places.

But from this point on the build can only get better. Now the really hard work is done.

Picture 12 shows a problem area, that I saw even when dry fitting the two fuselage parts. This problem has not been totally cured even with putty and sanding paper. You can still see it clear as daylight.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:12 am

Got the gun sight done. A really small piece as can be seen next to a spent 7,62 mm NATO shell casing!

The entire build should be finished by next weekend. First though I need to buy some Tamiya aluminium spray paint.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Now I have to wait until pay day, when I finally can buy the Tamiya aluminium spray cans.

But everything is prepared for the final assembly and the parts on the plastic modelling table are all sorted.

The thought of having the gun sight was very nice, but the wind screen was too low for it to fit, so I tried to cut it down a bit, but still it didn't want to fit. So finally I just threw it away.

As I've already written, this isn't a really great kit and I won't buy another one from Tarangus. I just hope that the decals are good.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Almost there - keep going, Morgan!
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby Swede » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:51 am

Thanks Rob.

Yeah, it is not much left to go. I just need those spray cans...

The thing is both this kit and the 1/72 scale Bf 109G-6 kit from Tamiya cost about 38,50 AUD (1 AUD = 6,38 SEK today), and in the case with the Tamiya kit it is well spent money. But for this kit?

No!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:59 pm

The entire aircraft is painted and I've addet some gloss varnish onto the surfaces where the decals will be located. Until it has dried completely, I have no choice but to wait with the decals.

The decals with dark blue decal paper are from the Heller kit and the rest from the Tarangus. The UN markings from Heller are there as extras, should the ones from Tarangus fail.

If I don't have the time for the decals today, it will be done on Monday and onward.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:46 am

It turned out that the Tarangus decals were really great and very easy to handle.

The 22nd UN Fighter Squadron of the Royal Swedish Air Force - F22 Kongo - used panel lines when painting the UN markings, but I doubt that it looked picture perfect in real life, as the second picture of a UN vehicle marking in the German Tank Museum in Munster shows.

As long as you could read it from a distance it was good enough.

It is my guess that it was the same case with the aircraft of the F22 fighter squadron.

The rest of the decals will be done next week beginning on Monday.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Re: 1/72 Tarangus SAAB J 29B "Flying Barrel" - FINISHED!

Postby Swede » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:13 am

The "Flying Barrel" is finished and can proudly take its place in the display cabinet.

I could have put down more energy on this build, but don't want to waste any more time on it. Some of the smaller decals, hardly visible, weren't used.

As I've already written, there won't be another Tarangus kit for me. I'm gonna stick with the Tamiya and newer Airfix kits.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Flying Barrel 23.jpg
Flying Barrel 23.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Flying Barrel 24.jpg
Flying Barrel 24.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Flying Barrel 25.jpg
Flying Barrel 25.jpg (91.99 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Flying Barrel 26.jpg
Flying Barrel 26.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Flying Barrel 27.jpg