Re: 1/48 SAAB J 35 Draken

Postby RAAFBrat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Very nice. I'm lousy at figure painting. :D
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pm

Thank you, RAAFBrat! :)

I could probably had put down some more hours on this pilot, but to be honest you wouldn't see that much of it through the canopy. I did add the rank insignia of a 1st Lieutenant on the left upper arm, but you don't see any of it... So this level of detail of the pilot is sufficient for this build.

I've made a display stand out of some wood from work (used to secure pallets in containers before we unload them) and a piece of transparent plastic. The foam is used to hold the aircraft in place, and with just a tad of careful handling it is possible remove the aircraft from the stand and then re-attach it again.

So far the wood has received two layers of a greyish spray paint left over in the hobby room, and the idea is to then spray it black and to give it two protective layers of gloss varnish.

All that is left on the build right now are some work on the semi-radar guided air-to-air missiles, some detail paint work and after that a layer of gloss varnish on the entire aircraft itself.

After that it is finally finished! ;)

Thanks for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
EVEN EXPERTS HAVE BEEN BEGINNERS
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:01 am

Almost there...

The finishing touches will be done this upcoming weekend. Next weekend is planned as a three reserve build days, should something unexpected happen this week.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sat May 01, 2021 6:02 pm

The display stand is 99,99% finished. I did total a re-sanding of it and then gave it three layers of gloss black paint plus two layers of gloss varnish, and that really made a huge difference!

It looks so much better now (the ugly spot at the very top of the plastic rod won't be seen anyway when the aircraft is in place)!

Maybe the odd fix with matt varnish here and there, but that is pretty much it.

Now all I have to do is to attach the four air-to-air missiles to the aircraft, probably using metal pins made from office clips to be on the safe side, and after that the whole project is finished.

Had I had another four weeks time to finish this commission build, I would have added more details. Now with the middle of May being the deadline, I just haven't had the time for that. Not with my regular daytime job Monday to Friday.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Re: 1/48 SAAB J 35 Draken - FINISHED

Postby Swede » Mon May 03, 2021 1:12 am

The customer is very happy and so am I. This morning I added the final touches and after that declared this commission build as finished.

This project has forced me to challenge my fears of taking totally new directions in plastic modelling and also made me want to experiment with new ways of presenting an aircraft. I've also learned a lot when it comes to future commission builds, because next year I'll definitely take on yet another one if approached to do one more.

But for the rest of 2021 I want to reduce my stack of 1:72 aircraft kits and finally continue to fill my display cabinet according to my own plans.

Thank you for reading!

It has been very fun to complete this build.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
SAAB Draken 30.jpg
SAAB Draken 30.jpg (246.99 KiB) Viewed 73 times
SAAB Draken 31.jpg
SAAB Draken 31.jpg (227.22 KiB) Viewed 73 times
SAAB Draken 32.jpg
SAAB Draken 32.jpg (232.34 KiB) Viewed 73 times
SAAB Draken 33.jpg
SAAB Draken 33.jpg (231.57 KiB) Viewed 73 times
SAAB Draken 34.jpg
SAAB Draken 34.jpg (225.46 KiB) Viewed 73 times
SAAB Draken 35.jpg
SAAB Draken 35.jpg (232.46 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Swede
Devotee

Postby Viking » Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Awesome work there Swede. Well done - I do like the mount and how it gives you the impression of speed.
Viking
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Great job, Morgan - it looks great
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 am

Thank you!

After three months it feels good to have this one done, and to be able to continue with my Finnish Bf 109G-6.

I've learned a lot from this build and that is the main thing.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Previous