Orion load-out

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: Orion load-out

Postby RODH2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:14 pm

I'll do "air-show load-out", which may include Harpoons and CBU-87 cluster bombs from the Hasegawa weapons set I have. I'm on the Southern metro. beaches in Adelaide, so I would see these things cruising by about 500'AGL often. I can even remember the Ansett and TAA Electras! So thanks all, again!
RODH2
Beginner

Postby brad » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm

RODH2 wrote:I'll do "air-show load-out", which may include Harpoons and CBU-87 cluster bombs from the Hasegawa weapons set I have. I'm on the Southern metro. beaches in Adelaide, so I would see these things cruising by about 500'AGL often. I can even remember the Ansett and TAA Electras! So thanks all, again!

My parents used to have a place on the Esplanade at Aldinga Beach and it wasn't unusual to have an Orion come around the point at close to eye level from their balcony, then we'd watch it winding all the way up the coast.

And while I don't remember the Electras myself, I remember when I was about 5, my parents went up to Lindeman Island for a holiday - they flew from Brisbane to Mackay in an Electra.

I'm in the CFS and one of the other members here is aircrew on one of the last two remaining AP-3Cs. So long as I keep the questions fairly general, he's happy to chat.
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby RODH2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Great story brad, I'm just north of Aldinga, so same for me. I did see the last Orion fly by, where they let 'em rip just off-shore from here. And the sound was such, even my wife thought they were cool. So I'm doing A9-756, (Hi-Vis) which is on display at the S.A. Aviation museum down at Port Adelaide. (Always worth a visit).
RODH2
Beginner

Postby GTX » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 am

Ex-RAAF Orion guy myself so spent many a year in/near them...
GTX
Devotee

Postby GTX » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:01 am

I'm all for whiff - I run Beyond The Sprues after all. :D I was just providing you as factual answer as possible to your query.

If you want something really what if, try this:

GTX
Devotee

Postby brad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:03 pm

RODH2 wrote:Great story brad, I'm just north of Aldinga, so same for me. I did see the last Orion fly by, where they let 'em rip just off-shore from here. And the sound was such, even my wife thought they were cool. So I'm doing A9-756, (Hi-Vis) which is on display at the S.A. Aviation museum down at Port Adelaide. (Always worth a visit).

Yes, SAAM is definitely an occassional visit for me. I was there for the ceremony on the day the Orion was handed over and also for the day when the F-111s were swapped. And their library was invaluable when I was building Adelaide Airport's Vimy.

Cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby RODH2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 pm

It's an excellent museum. I have been lucky enough to see all the U.K museums, Le Bourget in Paris and Monino in Moscow, but we are well served. Interesting about the Vimy, is it actually possible to see the Vimy at Adelaide AP, beyond parking restrictions, etc.? Thoughts?
RODH2
Beginner

Postby RayS » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:39 am

brad wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Great story brad, I'm just north of Aldinga, so same for me. I did see the last Orion fly by, where they let 'em rip just off-shore from here. And the sound was such, even my wife thought they were cool. So I'm doing A9-756, (Hi-Vis) which is on display at the S.A. Aviation museum down at Port Adelaide. (Always worth a visit).

Yes, SAAM is definitely an occassional visit for me. I was there for the ceremony on the day the Orion was handed over and also for the day when the F-111s were swapped. And their library was invaluable when I was building Adelaide Airport's Vimy.

Cheers,

bj

I hope to be spending more time there soon with an impending move to Adelaide happening. I was also at the Orion ceremony, lurking in the doorway to the hangar:-)
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 pm

RODH2 wrote:Interesting about the Vimy, is it actually possible to see the Vimy at Adelaide AP, beyond parking restrictions, etc.? Thoughts?

It' s going to a new location where it will be able to be seen better as part of the airport expansion. Not sure of the details but it will be under the main terminal roof.
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby Rabbitz » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:28 pm

RayS wrote:I hope to be spending more time there soon with an impending move to Adelaide happening. I was also at the Orion ceremony, lurking in the doorway to the hangar:-)

Having just run the gauntlet of border restrictions to move to SA, may I suggest that you get the paperwork underway? Close enough to six weeks for us to get the border permits.
Rabbitz
Devotee

PreviousNext