Moving House - How to Pack Models

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Moving House - How to Pack Models

Postby Rabbitz » Sat May 01, 2021 4:24 pm

We are about to move interstate, with all the palaver and utter bulldust that entails.

While getting ready to sell up here and making our current house look like a display home that no-one lives in and pondering the imponderable of working through 15 years of accumulation the thought occurred to me, or rather the question occurred, of how will I possibly pack my various models for transport?

As it is an interstate move, chucking them in a box and sticking them on the back seat of the car isn't really an option (quite apart from the fact that the said seat will be full of things the law says I need to maintain control of...).

So any ideas?
Rabbitz
Devotee

Re: Moving House - How to Pack Models

Postby Viking » Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm

Talk about coincidence... I'm looking for a new place now the owner has changed our lease and jacked the rent up. :-( So any handy hints here will be very welcome.
Viking
Devotee

Postby brad » Sun May 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Or, you could see this as an opportunity to renew. Give away or otherwise dispose of them all and start again at your new abode.
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby admin » Sun May 02, 2021 4:58 pm

I put each model in a fridge bag and tie it off. Then, using bean bag beans I put a layer of models down in a box then cover the layer with the bean bag beans then another layer of models etc unti; the box is full. Once it's full you top it off and seal the box thoroughly on both ends to ensure you don't end up with the beans all through the house. I have moved (literally) all over Australia and have had very few breakages which are caught by the fridge bag.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Postby Rabbitz » Sun May 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks David,

I had decided to bag the models I can but the polystyrene beads had not occurred to me.

Thank you very much.
Rabbitz
Devotee

Postby Viking » Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 pm

That is brilliant - thank you David!

@Brad - no chance. A lot of my kits (both completed and still in the stash) are expensive, hard to find, or both.
Viking
Devotee

Postby weitsv » Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 am

I Second the idea of bagging and beading however I’ve used Cliplock / Ziplock bags to ensure the air “bubble” formed can provide additional protection for the model.

The thing to mention too by using bagging is that it avoids the situation where some model plastics if left for time in direct contact with beads will react and you’ll end up with “dimples” in your models.
How does this work?
Oh OK I see!
weitsv
Devotee

Postby admin » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 am

I ran on to the problem of having to bag up and pack 1/48 Lancasters etc in previous moves, I ended up using a garbage bag for them.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Postby bell209 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:57 pm

admin wrote:I ran on to the problem of having to bag up and pack 1/48 Lancasters etc in previous moves, I ended up using a garbage bag for them.

I do exactly the same thing with mine and have done so for around 30 years. I did get a few minor breaks this year but I think it's because I didn't refill the trunks to the top with bean bag beans this time. Dumb.

I also shipped my 1/72 AP-3C and C-130E and the 1/48 Lancaster singly in plastic tubs from Bunnings with foam rubber cut out to accommodate the lower part of the models at the required angles. The removalists packed them as separate items at the top. I chose to do this as those models were large and had wire antennae runs that I thought may snap using the traditional packaging method. Broke one small lower antenna on the AP-3C, a main gear door and the Crew Entrance Door on the C-130E and one of the main gear legs on the Lancaster but overall not too bad as they were all easily repaired.

My 1/144 Saturn V Launch Umbilical Tower travelled on its own in a portarobe box, secured with packing paper and taped to the side of the box - no damage at all!
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby Rabbitz » Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 am

As we are planning move into the first place down there temporarily until we find the place we really want to live in and I doubt I'll have a workbench until we move permanently I think I might look at packing the models a little more carefully as they won't get unpacked and will need to move twice in the fullness of time.

Just what I need - more things that take up the resource that is most finite and pretty limited - time :)
Rabbitz
Devotee