Matchbox 1/76 Diorama's

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Matchbox 1/76 Diorama's

Postby Battletweety » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 am

I was rummaging through a few old boxes over the weekend and happened to open up one with all my old Matchbox 1/76 AFV's built when I was kid (40 years ago?). Nothing display worthy but I kept them because I'm a bit of a hoarder. Looking for my next project, an idea struck me, why not have a crack at making the dioramas a little more realistic. They are all pretty much out of the box mostly unpainted, like a blank canvas ready for a splash of realism. There are a few of them, so it should keep me busy for a while. I can't say I've done much in the way of diorama's before so thought I might have a crack and it seems like fun.
Here is the lot I've got to work with:

I started on the Sherman Firefly. Gave the bridge a bit of a work over to try and simulate concrete:

Added a bit of greenery and presto!

Next was the Kfz 232. Note I'm not doing anything to the vehicles, apart from touching up the tyres here and there. Kind of a tribute to my early days as a modeller.
Trying to simulate a burnt out bombed building

Kfz 25. This one sadly has fallen apart so will need a bit of fixing up, but a bit of greenery transforms the whole thing:

I've ordered some Tamiya texture effects paint so I can simulate mud and sand on some of the other dioramas. Never used the stuff before so will see how it goes.

cheers

BT
Resistance is futile, you will be assembled!!

The Mad Modelling of Battletweety
Battletweety
Beginner

Re: Matchbox 1/76 Diorama's

Postby Battletweety » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:23 am

Next one was the puma armored car.
Original condition:

Bit of a touch up to make the road and pavement more realistic.

And the finished product with the armored car. I didn't do anything to the figures but I have repainted the tyres. Otherwise still in original finish.

I am motivated to go and find the sets I never did, just to complete the series.

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Postby RayS » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am

They have scrubbed up nicely BT, I built a few of these in my youth. Wish I had hung onto them.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby Battletweety » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:49 am

Next up is the Matchbox Comet. I was in the model store yesterday and came across the Vallejo Thick Mud series of paints. While I'm still waiting for my Tamiya texture paints to arrive, I thought I'd give this stuff a go. It comes out exactly like thick mud in a bottle. So after smearing it all over the diorama base, left it to dry. The damn stuff drys rock hard and looks just like wet sloppy mud. Amazing stuff.

I could have smeared a lot of it over the tank but I refrained in keeping with my philosophy of not doing anything to the vehicles apart from tyre black. Would look good though....

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Postby Battletweety » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Another enjoyable couple of days refurbishing the matchbox collection. My local hobby shop loves me at the moment with the number of products I'm purchasing.

First up was the Panzer III in the desert diorama:

Two coats of Tamiya sand effects and instant sand diorama

And the tank settles in nicely. Some of you may wonder why a green/grey camouflaged tank is in the desert... it got lost ok..

Next was the Humber armored car. Quite a muddy scene. I had fun trying multiple methods of doing a pool of muddy water. In the end I just poured a spoonful of Tamiya clear gloss in and let it dry..

Then finally the Char B.1/Renault FT.17 where I went beserk with some grass effects. Done with some cheap $2 brushes from Bunnings.
The sun was streaming in through the window so thought I'd take advantage of the natural light for a photo.

Still about 8 to do and they really only take no more than a couple of hours. Lots of fun.

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Postby qfa_tsv » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Those are coming up a treat
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby Battletweety » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:52 pm

This one took a little bit of time. I was trying to get the effect of a burnt out and crumbling building.
The original matchbox diorama survived quite well all these years

Then the makeover:

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Postby Battletweety » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 pm

A couple more done. The Jagdpanther was a favourite of mine so I've tried to portray the sheer brutal power it was capable of when crashing through walls.

I had a bit of fun with the Panther. The diorama is an odd one as its got a dried cracked mud pattern on it, so I've tried to simulate the tank parking in a dried mud bowl, just waiting behind the trees for something to appear in the distance. I tried out some Citadel crackle paint which seemed to work very well. It does seem a bit plain though and I can't help but think it needs something else. Anyway its all just a bit of fun.

I've got my hands on some more kits too. It seems the chinese were making some rip offs a while ago so plenty of them going cheap around the place. I got my hands on Monty's Caravan and an M16 Halftrack which both have great diorama bases.

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Postby RayS » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 am

It's amazing what a little tizzying up will do for those bases.

More fine work there BT
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby Battletweety » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Ray its also a ton of fun. I'm not taking it very seriously, just enjoying what I can do with these things.

Just a few more this afternoon. The M16 halftrack diorama looks a bit too clean for my liking. I might get a bit of grime and dust out and dirty things up a bit.

The Stuart didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. I was trying to do a road cutting.

cheers

BT

Battletweety
Beginner

Next