DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Postby Kahunaminor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 am

Great stuff Troy,

Recycling the straws was a great idea. Looks as though you are well on track for another stunning finish.

Regards,
Kent in Oz
Bench: 1/48 Eduard Bf 109E-7, Libya, 1941; 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe
Completed: 1/48 SH CAC CA12 Boomerang; 1/32 Eduard Bf109E-4; 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc;1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6;1/48 Eduard Fw190A-8.
Kahunaminor
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:14 pm

progressing really nicely Troy

Bruce
On the Bench
Cyber-Wings 1/32 Me109-E3

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Cheers. Its been a few weeks since my last update. Last weekend was taken up with spring cleaning and Bathurst, but today I was able to get back into the office and get some work done. I started off installing the cockpit seats, control columns and instrument panel. I also played around for a while trying to figure out a way to reproduce the hydraulic hoses for the pedals, but everything I tried just looked way over scale. I've decided to leave out these little details.

I then moved on to masking up, painting and decalling the windscreen. Whilst the outside of the clear part is nicely detailed, the inside is smooth and plane which is a pity, but painting it black and adding the decals has made it less apparent. The only detail pieces I added are the emergency release handles for the doors. The decals were repurposed from the Werner Wings decal sheet, sliced up and fit to match the reference photo.

Finally, when all was done I attached the nose to the fuselage. I'll fill any gaps in the join tomorrow then set it aside for a week and let the glue cure.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Definitely worth the effort with the canopy interior Troy!
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm

I was only going to spend only a little time on the Chook today, but ended up spending all day on it. Nose sensors, some more PE grills, landing gear and the APU exhaust pipe all fitted.

The exhaust is a piece of sprue drilled out and sanded down to the correct diameter.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Lots done. Where to start? There was a late start yesterday as I worked in the morning then went out to Station Pier to have a tour of HMAS Warramunga which was in port.

During the week I ordered a new razor saw from BNA for some areas on the Chook which I needed to cut out. First I replaced the grill on the tail after cutting the required area a little bigger to suit. This also required the hole for the light be moved up. That done I then replaced the piece of drilled out sprue I had for the APU exhaust with some 4mm brass tube. Looks much more the part now.

I then used my new razor saw to cut out the two missing vents on the front mast. I like my new razor saw.

Next was the extra sensor blocks on the nose and tail. More detail would follow Sunday.

Checking my references, I noticed three vent tunes on the port side. photo etch from the spares box, some evergreen styrene sheet and some drilled out evergreen rod, and I had made up a close enough approximation.

Finally, I filled in the two vents moulded into the rear mast. That was it for Saturday. I was starting to get a headache from the optivosor and my stomach was growling for dinner.

Sunday was a new day and a lot more progress was made. Using my punch and die set, I knocked out some rings to add detail to the sensors i made yesterday.

I folded up and fitted the photo etch rails for the engine filters. At least that what I think they're for.

The antenna wire configuration on the Aussie D's is very different to those shown in the instructions. So first I had to shave off, bog and sand the excess mounts provided. I then cut to the correct length the mounting rods and after punching out some 2.2 mm discs, capped them off and fit the rods in place.

Then I spent a while going through dozens of photos trying to figure out which antennas needed to be fitted, and where. Again, all very different to where they were fitted in the kit instructions. You could go cross eyed trying to figure them all out. Not only were the placement of the antennas different from aircraft to aircraft, but even photo to photo of the same aircraft over the years. I am pretty sure I have got the underside right, but Im sure the top is probably wrong for A15-104, but finding a photo showing me where I was wrong proved to be too hard, so I have settled on simplicity for now, pending more evidence. My spares pile is dwindling too.

And that's another weekend done. I'll start on the rotors during the week hopefully, if not they can wait until the weekend. I still need to sort out the CSAR hoist, so painting will have to wait until I can get that together.

DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am

Really starting to look like an in service Chook now
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Previous