DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 am

Thanks guys.
No David, I hadn’t. Thanks. I’ll be taking a good look their today.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Looking nice Troy. I'm not into Choppers - the only one I tried as a kid I stuffed up utterly - but I do have a UH-1H in the stash ;).
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm

That’s some sweet work there Troy. Really tidy

Bruce
On the Bench
Cyber-Wings 1/32 Me109-E3

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm

No modelling done yesterday, but I did get to take the Vintage Airways Tiger Moth at Lilydale Airport for a fly. An amazing experience I have my work to thank for.

But today, I got stuck into it, and made a lot of progress. One of the hold ups were the seat belts, so I decided that before I did anything else, I made myself sit at the bench and just get them done. 30 sets of belts done.

I then fixed them to the seats and glued the seats in place, and thats were the fun began. I checked my check list and figured out it was time to join the two halves of the fuselage. Getting the floor in under the legs of the seats was the first issue. They're pretty springy, so I thought that I would be able to lift them up a little and slide the floor under. This was easy for one side, but getting the other side in was more difficult. The length of the seat made it difficult to lift them all at once. It took a couple of goes, but I got it done. Not as straight as I would have liked, but I'll see what I can do to improve them.

Then came the task of gluing the two halves together. What a bitch that was. Massive gaps. The bottom first. Out came the clamps, CA glue, Tamiya quick setting and tape. It's going to need a lot of filler and sanding.

Then the front and rear rotor stacks. Another big gap on the top, but thankfully that will be covered with a transmission cover.

Thats it for today. Three day weekend coming up, so I hope to make some good progress then. Until next time.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Calum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Looking really good Troy. What size thickness card did your cutter cut for those shelves?
Calum
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Well done on your Tiger Moth flight. Your Chinook is looking brilliant. That interior is just outstanding.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 pm

A little bit of Wednesday night bench time. I’ve started painting up the turbines and making plans up for the interiors of the exhausts. I need some styrene tube. I hope the Hobbyman is open Friday. I need supplies. I'm going to try a light misting of clear blue over the exhausts to give them that heat treated look.

I've also installed the photo etch mesh in the filter covers.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Looking good Troy. But this is why I don't do Choppers :D .
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby RayS » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 am

Just caught up on your build Troy. I am loving the extra detail and scratch building you are adding. It's all looking great.

I know how you feel when building something from plans and it does not fit the model. I had the same issue with some parts on my C-17 build ( which I put back on the bench last night).

Looking forward to more of your wizardry and detailing on this one.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks, Ray.

The three day weekend is almost over, and though I didn't spend as much time at the bench as I expected, I still got a lot done. I started by filling in the seams where the tail attached to the fuselage, along with the underside and up near the rotor heads. I also fitted the side fuel tanks. It really is looking like a Chook now.

I then moved onto the engine turbines. The photos I have show tubes within the exhausts, as shown in one of the photos in an above post. I was all set to buy some styrene or aluminium tube to replicate this, but when I was cleaning up the kitchen, I found some straws left over from a meal of KFC. They, when cut to a suitable length, held in place with a wire cross and glued in place with drops of superglue and painted up, did the job perfectly.

I then misted some clear blue onto the exhaust cans to simulate heat staining. Looks pretty good, yeah?

Then it was time to fit them in place so I could get the engine covers on.

As the turbine hubs would not be able to be painted once the filters were fitted, I had to paint them first.

The filters are fitted now, but as I want to prime the model before paint is applied, but don't want paint too thick on the filters, I have temporarily masked them, as well as the windows for now. I need to move onto fitting the cockpit seats and controls next, but that can wait until next weekend.

It's going to take up some space in the cabinet, but I think I should be able to get the Blackhawk when done in there too. If not, it will fit with the Huey perhaps.
DesTROYer
Devotee

PreviousNext