DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 pm

A new project has begun. I had been planning on building a Chinook since Model Expo 2017, I even had a couple of 1/48 kits in the stash that I was going mix and match the rotors to build a correct AAAvn version, and then just before Expo this year, and I decided that Army Choppers looked so much better in 1/35 and they would compliment the 1/35 Armour I have so much better, so I sold them all up at the Swap and Sell and bought a 1/35 Trumpeter Chinook. Today with the completion of the two Meteors and after clearing of the bench, I got to work.

I'll be using the Big Ed PE set which comes with masks, interior and exterior details, instrument panels and PE seats for in the cargo area. As I missed out on getting a set of the 1/35 Ronin decals for the Chinook, I'll be going with the Hawkeye models decals and Werner Wings stencils.

After reading through the instructions a few times, taking notes and marking up where photo etch enhancements will be required, I got to work. I started with trimming and assembling the front console. It was pretty straightforward. Test fitting as I go.

The internal bulkheads were next. They went together pretty well and look pretty good.Image

A dry fit to see how the components look together. This is going to be a big beast. Heaps will be seen through the big windscreen, so I have to get as many photos of I can of the cockpit so I can match it the best I can. The hunt is underway. Anyone who knows of any good walkarounds that can help me out, please do.

For the most part, injection marks have been minimal with them hiding in either easily cleaned up locations or hidden, but a few have me scratching my head on why. The first why is under the instrument panel combing. They're deep too, so they will need to be filled. but the main issue to date has been on the shelves in the avionics bay. The sinkholes could easily have been hidden on the underside of the shelves, but no, they're on the top and will need to be filled before the shelves can be painted, assembled and installed.

The colour call out and parts are pretty limited too, so again some photos of this area would be greatly appreciated.

That's it for today. More tomorrow.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Postby enfield38 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 am

G'day Troy,

I took these out at Oakey a few weeks ago, they may be of some use to you.

Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Thank you so much. They answer the question I've been hunting an answer for all morning, whether the avionics and winch compartments were open, or covered with the blanket. Im making up some blankets now. :)
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:04 pm

If I had known Mate, I would have taken a bunch more for you. My focus was on the orange beauty in the background...
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm

No worries Rod.

I started off today by using my punch set to cut out some 3 and 2mm discs to fill out the injection marks on the Avionics rack.

But something was bugging me the whole time I was doing it. Well two things really, first I couldn't find a decent photo of the racks in a AAAVn Chinook, and second, I had a sneaking suspicion that when in operation, the quilted blankets would be in place over both the racks and the winch motor. So I spent some tim online trying to find photographic evidence either way. The photos of the racks I found, mostly from US Chinooks were way more loaded up than the kit depicted them and the amount of cabling would drive me mad on such a small area. Then Rod came to the rescue with his photos above. I jumped onto my Silhouette cutter and made up some more quilted blanket. The first attempt had the squares at 2x2mm, they were too big and the blanket too short..

So back to the drawing board. 1.5x1.5mm did the trick.

I then got down to selecting the colours for painting. The colour call out in the instructions pretty much said Aircraft grey everywhere, but the photos I was seeing were showing me that whilst that may have been true in the rear, the cockpit was much darker, so I played around with some paint swatches and compared them them to the photos. After selecting the colours I got to work.

The plan is to next mask up and paint the deck floor, but that can wait until next weekend.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 pm

With the help of Rod's photos above, tonight I got home from work and started painting up the rear deck. The Portrait cutter saved me so much time and stress. I really couldn't have done it without it. Still more details to add, and I should have painted up the ramp at the same time but I think it looks great.

DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:32 pm

That deck looks awesome, Troy! She'll be a big 'un when she's done.
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell Tornado GR4 (from the IDS boxing)
1/48 Tamiya Lancaster B.III (Special)
bell209
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

I lost a bit of bench time yesterday as I had to work in the morning, but I made a lot of progress anyway.
I started by modifying the ramp. For some reason known only to them, Trumpeters instructions would have you fit the retractable ramp in the top of the airframe, not pulled back into the main ramp. So by modifying the kit parts and adding some extended rails, I was able to make the ramp be operational. It's a tight fit, but as I will have it retracted when completed, that's not an issue and it will allow me to paint it up separately.
A big thanks to Gino (HeavyArty) at Finescale modeller for the tip.

Next up I did a dry fit of the floor and sides to see how it was looking, what mods I needed to make and how much would be seen.

Then I started scratching up some interior detail for the ramp area. The photos I have show this area as very, very busy. Too busy to model accurately in fact, so I used those photos as a general guide only and went free form.

As you can see, the rear section where the APU would be is totally bare as far as detail, so looking through the spare parts box, I again made up a substitute APU to fill out the area. I started up by making up a tape template of the area so that I could cut a piece of styrene to shape and mount all the gear on to. This allowed me to do all the assembly and painting before the two halves are joined and so I won't have to fill that seam. Paint will bring this area to life.

A lot more detail painting will be done in here over the next week.

I then painted up the rest of the interior with the Aircraft grey base colour. As you can see this is a HUGE beast. Next up, after all the detail painting is done, I'll seal the paint, apply a wash and the interior placards, before joining up the rear halves, installing the ceiling, deck and cockpit. I will leave one side wall off so I can install the photo etch seats.

A massive thanks to Noel who sent me a disc of photos this week. It's going to come in very handy as I have been able to get a set of the Ronin Chinook decal sets and I will need to scrach build some flare and chaff dispensers to bring the kit up to date.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Kahunaminor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Absolutely stunning workmanship Troy. Great. Detail and explaining.

Regards,
Kent in Oz
Bench: 1/48 Eduard Bf 109E-7, Libya, 1941; 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe
Completed: 1/48 SH CAC CA12 Boomerang; 1/32 Eduard Bf109E-4; 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc;1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6;1/48 Eduard Fw190A-8.
Kahunaminor
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Disappointing that in this scale the detail is wanting out of the box. You're doing a great job rectifying that, though, Troy!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell Tornado GR4 (from the IDS boxing)
1/48 Tamiya Lancaster B.III (Special)
bell209
Devotee

Next