Roden 1/32 Cessna O-2 `Jade 07'. Finished

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: Roden 1/32 Cessna O-2 `Jade 07' Vac Forming.

Postby ericg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Onto the instrument panel. David sent me a pic that he took of his panel. Bearing in mind that the aircraft was only a year or so old, there is plenty of dirt and grime that has accumulated.

The Roden instrument panel is OK, but there is some missing detail of some important features that I felt needed to be improved. Notice the lack of gear and flap selector, and the totally woeful depiction of the throttle quadrant.

I needed to scratch build some detail to do it justice.

First up, I chiseled out the stubs representing the Throttle, pitch and mixture levers.

I then Scribed 6 lines as closely as I could into a thin section of plastic card, which would then become the slots in which some new levers would be inserted.

I made up some new knobs from plastic card and mounted these on some levers that I cut from a piece of scrap photo etch sheet. The panel will be fairly visible through the open door, so I think this detail is quite important.

ericg
Devotee

Postby Daz_C » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 am

Sensational build tutorial mate. Have this kit on the to do list, thanks for sharing.
cheers,
Daz

"I can only please 1 person a day.Unfortunately today is not your day!!!"
Daz_C
Devotee

Postby ericg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am

David sent me a stack of photos taken by his successor. Hope that they may be of use. Of particular interest (of course!) is the various Aussie markings applied to some of the O-2's, lack of inner pylons and various other details. David did relay to me that during his time in Vietnam, the inner pylons were fitted.

Some more work!

I strengthened the nose gear leg by drilling it and inserting 1mm diameter brass rod.

The almost completed IP.

ericg
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am

Another masterclass Eric, looking forward to seeing this one finished.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:35 am

I found that even though I had beefed up the strength of the undercarriage with music wire, that the weight required in the nose to keep the model from sitting on its tail was bending the undercarriage to unacceptable levels. I needed to find another solution. I removed the leading edge of the undercarriage leg back to previously inserted music wire.

I then cut some thick brass sheet in the rough shape of the leg.

This was then attached with slow set superglue, and then roughed into shape with a rasp file

I then refined the shape further with a diamond file. The good thing about this modification was that I was able to thin the gear legs even further than I had them before.

The unfortunate thing about this model is that it requires a HUGE amount of nose weight to keep it on the ground, so I have packed lead into everywhere as far forward as I could, including filling the engine and nose wheel with lead. Virtually the entire under surface of the nose cowl has been sheeted with it and also notice the small space infront of the instrument panel has been packed with lead.

The test.....

ericg
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Yeah, that should do it. Nice work Eric.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 am

Nice work on the U/C, interesting test that. proves the point though
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Onto some of the windows. I wanted to get a feel for how the other windows were going to fit before I got too far as I felt that there was going to be alot of work ahead of me. I think that large amount of clear parts of this model will be something that will draw a viewers attention so they need to be done properly.

Here is the small window forward of the cockpit door. As can be seen, there is alot of evidence that this was designed late on a Friday afternoon at the Roden office, obviously when getting to the nearest pub was more important than actually designing something to fit. There is a saying out there `like throwing a sausage roll down a hallway', which is usually used to describe something else but is applicable here.

I made up a new one from PETG sheet.

Here is the size comparison, with the kit window on top of the new one that I made.

The new window dry fitted into the hole. It is a much better fit, and is much clearer than the kit clear parts.

Before installing the wing struts, I carved a groove into one side of them and super glued in some music wire to much improve their strength and bend resistance.

Some of the smaller exterior details. there is a small bracket that will secure the HF wire that I felt could be done better.

I sanded it off and made up a new one using some scrap photo etch.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Back to work on the O-2. 

The intake and ring at the front of the cowling needs some work. The way that Roden have designed it is quite see through and needs a bit of beefing up. This is best attempted whilst you have the cowls off. I had everything buttoned up and then decided that I didn't like the look of it so I had to mess around a bit to get it to work.

You shouldn't be able to see from one side to the other here. The inside of the cowl is much more chunky and I reckon it will affect the look of the finished model if left.

I found some suitable diameter styrene tube and cut it in half and adjusted it to fit inside the ring of the cowling, then filled and sanded it to make it smooth. Again, would have been much easier if the cowl was off, so be warned!

Next up was the seatbelts. I rather like the RB Productions belts so decided to go with 3 sets of them. There are no belts depicted in the kit so it will need something.

Once assembled and glued, I clear coated them and then used enamel wash to give them depth.

They look quite convincing. Still a little tidying up to do but this is a WIP after all.I have the right seat pushed all the way back as I believe the pilot may have left it for easy access to the pilot seat.

Also noticeable in this pic is the small flap that I have scribed into the side window with its associated hinge made from some PETG sheet (also on the left side). It was a detail that is not in the kit but my eye was drawn to it in reference pics. 

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 am

Some more work. A big issue with the kit is the poor fit of the windscreen. It is slightly too big and will require some rectification. Hopefully I have devised a very easy fix for it that will help those building this kit.

Here is is the problem. I have squeezed it in so that the edges fit along the sides but then the front pops up!

the easiest way to make the part smaller Is to cut the windscreen in two, right though the centre frame. A light scribe followed by a careful cut with a JLC razor saw will do it nicely, the part can then be sanded at each edge to reduce its width. I then joined it back up with some Tamiya extra fine glue.

The part now fits significantly better. I have sanded the part with a sanding sponge and have since polished it up crystal clear with cutting paste and my dremel. Notice the sanding dust that has accumulated along the bottom edge. This is what I wanted to see as the real windscreen should sit under this panel, not flush.

I could see in my reference pics that the small cabin air intakes were mostly open. The kit depicts these as an engraved rectangle and I thought this would be a nice detail to add. I dug out the rectangle with my chisels and then glued a small piece of suitably shaped plastic card to pop the vents open on both sides. Also visible in this pic is the small rescue panel that I had to scribe under the new pilots window that was present in this later model.

I could see that the horizontal aerial rail that sits on top of the roof at the front of the cabin would get easily broken. It is fairly flimsy and could do with some extra strength. All it will take is for the model to be picked up incorrectly and a misplaced thumb will break it in two.

I lightly cut a straight line across the top of the part with my razor saw and then deepened it with the back edge of a .5mm drill bit.

I used the same drill bit to put a hole either side

Pre bent some very strong music wire

Super glued it into position and then sanded smooth.

ericg
Devotee

PreviousNext