Fine Molds 1:35 Type-97 Te-Ke Finished.

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Fine Molds 1:35 Type-97 Te-Ke Finished.

Postby enfield38 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:21 pm

When I was a young fella, my late Dad took me to the Puckapunyal Tank Museum - at that stage not much more than a grouping of vehicles on a gravel area surrounded by a cyclone fence. The first tank that I can remember seeing was a very small Japanese one and I recall some kids climbing on it when a hatch slammed down on one of their hands resulting in much screaming and crying. That "Tankette" was a Type-97 Te-Ke, captured by Australian forces in the closing stages of the Pacific War. It remains in the collection today, thankfully protected from the elements in the "new" museum precinct. My modelling focus these days has shifted from ADF aircraft to 1:35 armour and, in particular, vehicles in the tank museum collection as well as the wider RAAC inventory. In some small way, it helps me to commemorate my Dad who I miss very much. The challenge of course is how best to reproduce the museum exhibits, noting most are missing bits here and there and are often re-painted every few years in a new scheme. My approach is to build representative models that acknowledge their presence in the collection.

This is my Fine Molds Type-97 Te-Ke WIP. I bought this kit (partially built) on eBay from a bloke in the USA and I've got to say the quality is very good with a fully detailed interior which is mostly hidden. Unfortunately, the instructions are in Japanese but the diagrams are pretty easy to follow. It's about 90% done and I used Vallejo Model Air paints for the first time to approximate the post 1944 camouflage colours, using a drawing from the net. I'll weather it a bit more and it still needs the antenna and some lenses on the head/tail lights. The tracks are mostly individual links with a few two and three link sections on each sprue to ease the pain. I'm fairly happy with the sag I achieved. The paint bottles and Abrams give a sense of how small the model and actual vehicles were.

Last edited by enfield38 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Re: Fine Molds 1:35 Type-97 Te-Ke WIP

Postby bell209 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Very nice work, Rod!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Re: Fine Molds 1:35 Type-97 Te-Ke WIP

Postby enfield38 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks Rob.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Re: Fine Molds 1:35 Type-97 Te-Ke Finished.

Postby enfield38 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm calling this one done. A super little kit, not cheap in the end but worth the effort despite everything being hidden inside the hull. Some slight chipping done with a sponge and Gunze Acrylic Steel H18 followed by a dusting of well thinned Tamiya Buff XF-57 and some Flat Earth XF-52 on the running gear. I dabbled a little with some Lifecolor "Rust Wizard" pigments in a few spots as a trial for future builds. Pleased to have finished something for a change! As usual, crappy photos from my iPhone under the LED desk lamp and in the morning sun.

Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee