Postcard from Singapore

Member's Area Reader's Photos
A collection of Member's favourite images of the real thing.

Postcard from Singapore

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm

I was in Singapore on a steamy Friday recently and got myself down to the RSAF Museum at Paya Lebar. A nice little collection but photography is a problem with obstacles and pillars, and a lot of glare under the overcast.

Gate Guards:

Hawker Hunter FGA 74
Biggles81
Devotee

Postcard from Singapore Part 2

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 pm

A-4S Skyhawk:

A-4SU Skyhawk:

TA-4SU Skyhawk:
Biggles81
Devotee

Postcard from Singapore Part 3

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm

UH-1H:

UH-1B:

AS550 Fennec:

Sud Alouette II:
Biggles81
Devotee

Postcard from Singapore Part 4

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:33 pm

BAC Strikemaster:

Lockheed T-33A:

Grumman E-2C Hawkeye:
Biggles81
Devotee

Re: Postcard from Singapore

Postby Rabbit Leader » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 pm

They all look great Biggles... how far out is this from Singapore city? It could be worth a visit.
I quite like the look of the plan gray A-4S Skyhawk, was this their earliest scheme?
Cheers.. Dave
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Paya Lebar is almost downtown these days (about half the distance to Changi from the City Centre. Apparently the base is slated for closure though in the next few years so will be interesting to see if the Museum moves. One advantage of the current location is watching the parade of F-15SGs in the circuit if you are out there on a weekday. It is also very close to two hobby shops - Miniature Hobby which was great and had a 40% off sale last week and Tamiya Singapore which has a comprehensive range of said Tamiya products but is eye wateringly expensive. You can also catch a direct bus to Morgans at Katong as well about a 15min ride away.

The key thing is you need to catch a bus for the final leg or all the way from the Orchard/Bras Basah area, but if you have a Singapore Tourist Pass for the SMRT (unlimited free travel on buses and trains for up to three days) that is no problem at all. I managed to get to seven hobby shops, the museum and an outdoor adventure wear warehouse sale all in one day (helps that the museum opens at 0830 but the shops don't til between 10am and 12pm) all using the SMRT and never having to wait more than 5 mins for a bus or train or walk more than 200-300m. I love Singapore public transport, especially when it takes 3.5 hours to get to the local big mall here in Bandung (and that is only a 5km trip)
Biggles81
Devotee

Postby Rabbit Leader » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:57 pm

That’s a great response - Many thanks for the travel tips.
The wife’s always trying to plan holidays, so this could be a ‘dad days out’ if it comes off.

Cheers.. Dave
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:13 pm

I realised I never did answer the other question, but I believe the grey and white scheme was the original A-4S delivery scheme. Note the Singapore Air Defence Command roundel as well, before it changed to the Yin/Yang and then Merlion.
Last edited by Biggles81 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggles81
Devotee

Postby Rabbit Leader » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks again Biggles, I’ve just never seen Singaporean A-4’s in this scheme before. The camouflaged variants are very common, however this delivery scheme not quite so. I quite like it and would be a great piece to model.

Cheers.. Dave
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks for posting the above info Ken. My wife and I are heading to Singers in SEP, so will do all of the above, seeing as Raffles is closed for reno's

Bruce
On the Bench
Cyber-Wings 1/32 Me109-E3

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Next