RAAF uniform selection: early 80s to early 90s

Member's Area Reader's Photos Uniform Reference photos
An area for reference images of real uniforms worn in Australia and other countries, both modern and past.

RAAF uniform selection: early 80s to early 90s

Postby TOR » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi folks,
Like a real geek, I have kept an example of every RAAF uniform variation I was ever issued/wore between 1983 and 1994, (almost.....see last photo for the one variant I don't currently have). They may be of some use as a historical reference source for that period:

and the only uniform variant I wore but don't actually have a real live example of: Jungle greens when I was at 1RTU, (I can't believe this photo was taken 30 years ago....and check out the L1A1 SLR):

David, I hope this is in keeping with your intent for this thread.
TOR
TOR
Devotee

Re: RAAF uniform selection: early 80s to early 90s

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:28 pm

10Ib 15oz of heavyness if I'm not mistaken. Lugging 1 of those around Kangaroo Flats, NT in November wasn't my idea of fun. But I loved rifle drill with them. They look way better than the Steyrs on parade too :)
Brother: Do you really need that many Phantoms?
Me: Don't make me kick you outta the shed for asking dumb questions
Brother: But are you gonna build all these models?
Me: Yeah of course I am. Now get outta my shed

#1 F-4 Phantom Phanatic
hrtpaul
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Ray, your post is certainly in line with what I am after, I would like to get a nice little reference section for uniforms that people can come to to see what they are about to paint/model rather than go by the kit instructions.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Postby asho77 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm

hrtpaul wrote:10Ib 15oz of heavyness if I'm not mistaken. Lugging 1 of those around Kangaroo Flats, NT in November wasn't my idea of fun. But I loved rifle drill with them. They look way better than the Steyrs on parade too :)

WOW....bit of a blast from the past. I have to agree that rifle drill with the SLR was better than with the styer, presentation wise but if you dropped the SLR not only did it make a hell of a racket but you'd certainly get your ass kicked big time. At least with the Styer you have a sling, so it's relatively "idiot proof"
asho77
Devotee

Postby TOR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Yeah.....I enjoyed my service training and experiences with the SLR, M60, and even the 9mm pistol. They were fun times. I had a great ADG instructor, who taught me how to handle, appreciate, and respect all these weapons. Just looking at that 30 year old photo again...gee I wish I was that lean and fit now...(bloody hell, was I ever that young!!! :lol: )
TOR
TOR
Devotee