AIrfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang comments and images

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

AIrfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang comments and images

Postby harvs73 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm

A review of the newly released 1/48 P-51D Mustang from Airfix. In some areas the kit is over engineered in my opinion and providing only one type of prop when so many other options are there is a bit of a let down. It is nicely cast and the two decal options look good (will scan later). The instruction sheet is in the current Airfix style and is easily understood.
Attachments
DSC_0408.jpg
You get two types of tails for the kit.
DSC_0408.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
DSC_0407.jpg
DSC_0407.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
DSC_0405.jpg
DSC_0405.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
DSC_0404.jpg
This sprue has a great number of options for the kit on it including two different types of main wheels, two types of exhausts and two types of cheek intakes - both the louvers and the holes.
DSC_0404.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
DSC_0402.jpg
The bazooka tubes are cast well but they have an odd way of putting htem together. This way may work as there is only one seam and it is along the top of the uppermost tubes. You still have casting marks on the other tubes but only one glue line.
DSC_0402.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Re: AIrfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang comments and images

Postby harvs73 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 pm

A few more images
Attachments
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0416.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0415.jpg
To me the prop is the biggest disappointment as only one type is provided which means for RAAF aircraft generally you will need to source after market blades for it. It is good that they have made it one piece as this means you are not fiddling around with alignment of each blade while putting it together.
DSC_0415.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0413.jpg
Here the flaps, tail planes, ailerons, retracted wheel covers, the propeller and the undercarriage bay. The flaps have the option of being posed up or down as they provide two sets of them.
DSC_0413.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0410.jpg
DSC_0410.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0409.jpg
DSC_0409.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
David Harvey
Editor

harvs73
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm

A bit more.
Attachments
DSC_0421.jpg
The clear parts look good and you are provided with the three wing tip lights as clear pieces rather than having to paint them or replace them. There are also three types of canopies to choose from and two types of front windscreen. Thankfully Airfix have chosen to do the front canopy as part of the fuselage section rather than the normal way of just having the glas which tends to get glued up or fits badly.This way you can put in the fuselage piece and blend that in without fear of damaging the windscreen.
DSC_0421.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0420.jpg
DSC_0420.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0417.jpg
The wings have all the panel lines finely done. This will upset some purists as for US produced Mustangs the joins were for the most part puttied and painted over but RAAF ones were not all like that, especially the CAC aircraft, and some had it removed anyway.
DSC_0417.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0418.jpg
DSC_0418.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0416.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
David Harvey
Editor

harvs73
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Looks good & I like how they've done the windscreens. Shame I've done my D. :)
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:19 pm

G'day David,

I agree the lack of prop options is odd given the various canopies and nose vents that are supplied. I'll bet other boxings are planned down the track with different props and also a filletless fin.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby NormanL » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello David

I find your review ''very'' light on information mate, especially with regards to explaining your statement it is 'over engineered' would it be possible for you to post a proper review outlining these area's ?

Cheers
NormanL
Devotee

Postby Calum » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 am

I’ve picked up a copy of the kit last weekend, and have been looking at it though the week. To add to Dave’s comments.

It is complicated for a 1/48 single engine prop, much more complicated than the classic Tamiya kit, that said it does contain more detail. It's not a kit I'd give to a kid or a beginner (unlike the Tamiya kit). At a guess I'd say it has the highest part count of any 1/48 ww2 single engined fighter I've seen.

So over engineered is a fair comment IMO (There are 70 steps in the instructions).

It’s obviously been done in a modular issue to accommodate future variants. As long as everything fits however this shouldn’t be an issue… but until I build it I’ll reserve my final judgement

The modular areas that will need to be watched are
• The underside rear air exhaust
• The upper fin piece
• The lower tail wheel fuselage sides

On the plus side, for these parts you will be able to glue them from the inside which should reduce glue marks (Unless you’re like Bruce and struggle with the basics). The instructions are good as well.

Some other comments are

• I agree with Dave about the one style of prop. But I assume we’ll see another boxing next year with an extra sprue with the other prop.
• I wish Airfix would stop stuffing all the sprues, except the clear parts, in one bag.
• Decals look fantastic on the sheet. But this is a feature of the current generation of Airfix kits; thankfully they outsource these to Cartograph. I quite like the option on the box art.
• The cockpit looks great out of the box, I don’t even see the need for a seat as the kit one has belts moulded on and looks great.
• Nice pilot figure but I’d prefer a standing one, rather than a sitting one.
• I agree with Dave re the clear parts, especially the front windscreen. They have the same design as the Tamiya Tomcat. This is easily the best way to mould this particular parts, I wish every kit (that could) had this part done this way.
• Instructions mention assistance from Roy Sutherland and Christian Alamy who are well known Mustang experts.
• I’ve seen these on Facebook for sale in the mid $30. IMHO that’s excellent value for many.

To close, this is the kit for the 2018 NSW model show’s Airfix Cup category so I’d recommend those coming pick one up and enter.
Calum
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Calum, the two main points for me were the tail wheel bay and the exhaust underneath the aircraft as you pointed out, the tail is acceptable to me as it is a hint that they are doing other variants at some stage.
Attachments
P-51D-Instructions-P1.jpg
This image shows the high part count for what is a simple piece of construction in Tamiya and other manufacturers kits. While a bit of detail might be good I have doubts about having so much in the tail wheel area when none realistically can be seen, even with a judges mirror.
P-51D-Instructions-P1.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
P-51D-Instructions-P2.jpg
An unusual manner of getting the seat belt on the model by including it as part of the side bars.
P-51D-Instructions-P2.jpg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
P-51D-Instructions-P3.jpg
I have an aversion to sidewalls done as an extra layer of plastic as this kit as I don't always trust that they will fit and extra work is required to make it fit in. I realise it is a bit of a 'first world problem' but having build Classic Airframes and Special Hobby kits I occasionally like 'easy' builds. The machine guns are also represented on the wings by another insert that is glued in to the wings. This is also fraught with problems as the wings of the Walrus also had a cover to replace the wing mounted landing light, this didn't fit and had to be faired in.
P-51D-Instructions-P3.jpg (69.81 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
P-51D-Instructions-P4.jpg
P-51D-Instructions-P4.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
P-51D-Instructions-P5.jpg
P-51D-Instructions-P5.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
David Harvey
Editor

harvs73
Devotee

Postby Damian C » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Others have mentioned, and we know this is how Airfix operates, there will be another boxing: evidence for a likely Mustang IV is the louvred intakes which are not relevant to either of the versions in the kit. I note also the two exhaust variants as well.

That said, and at the risk of trying to analytical like Jim de Cesare and his Tamiya 1/32 kit predictions, I'm mildly nonplussed at the arrangement for the fin. It only makes sense if an early, without-fillet, version is coming. That doesn't make sense with the louvred intakes, noting that Airfix seems only to aim to get a couple of boxings from one basic set of molds. Perhaps they are going to do something like the 1/72 Spitfire Mk1/II which (IIRC) included an additional sprue with parts for both an early Mk I and a Mk II (and all the parts for a later Mk I from the original boxing) (*)

* and signally not done with their He-IIIs which, between the two kits, include the parts for any version from P-2 to H-6, but not in either box. Humph.
Damian C
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Similar to their Seafire FR46/47. When I went through the sprues I thought to myself that with all the extra unused parts I could make a Spitfire 22/24 out of it. Guess what they recently released?
RAAFBrat
Devotee