How to spray Tamiya Acylics?

Member's Area Hints and Tips Airbrushing and painting
An area for members to pass on any hint's and tips relating to airbrushing and painting of model related subjects.

How to spray Tamiya Acylics?

Postby TonyP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 am

Hi guys,

I'd like to know in relation to tamiya acylics and airbrushing:

1) Ratio of paint to thinner
2) What thinner to use
3) What PSI to use (although I have no regulator on mine)

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Re: How to spray Tamiya Acylics?

Postby Creative Models Australia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Tony,

I have ound the best results using general purpose thinners, thinned by at east 100% thinner, depending on the paint, and colour will depend on how much further youo, but 100% is a good starting point. I spray between 8psi and 25 psi, depending on the job at hand, i.e. base coating to panel lines.

Usng GP thinners will give a very smooth finish, even on matts, and quick drying tie, as well as consitency with thinning. I've used Tamiya thinners before, and there all crap. Consistency doesnt exsist, paint dries grainy, and takes a longer time.

At the end of the day, it does come down to you, and what suits you and your style.
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby Calum » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Like Glen I prefer using lacquer thinners to thing Tamiya paints. If fact I thin most paints (Gunze, Model Master and Humbrol) with it. Cheap and it vastly improves the finish of all these. It actually makes Humbrol a viable model paint again.

Originally I used IPA for Tamiya but I found the finish was always rough and grainy. With the lacquer thinners the finish is smooth, hard and very quick drying.
Calum
Devotee

Postby TonyP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks Glen & Calum,
Glen I assume you mean 10% ratio?

If I use lacquer thinners, will this destroy acylic paint already on the model that I would like to overspray?
Thanks
Tony
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby Calum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 am

TonyP wrote:Thanks Glen & Calum,
Glen I assume you mean 10% ratio?

If I use lacquer thinners, will this destroy acylic paint already on the model that I would like to overspray?
Thanks
Tony

No Tony not at all.

Not sure about Glen but I generally thin my paints at least 50:50, (same amount of thinner as paint). And often it will even more. I'm not very scientific, I just thin the paint so it sprays nice. If it isn't looking and sounding (that's a big indicator for me) right I just add more thinner until it is.

Lacquer thinners with Tamiya clear results in a thin but very glossy and hard finish. I've yet to see a better gloss finish.
Calum
Devotee

Postby Creative Models Australia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Tony,

No, 100%, just as Calum does with his, just said ina different way! I reccomend starting at 100%, and then moving up. I normally thin by about 120% thinners.

It wont affect any paint you have already sprayed on either, so dont worry aout that.

Calum actualy mentions sound, which I was going to bring up.

If you put the paint in the colour cup, and gently use the blowblack method, you want lots of sharp, crisp bubbles. You dont want it to sound claggy, if it des, it's too thick, and more thinners is needed.

Mixing clear gloss works well do, even with matt paints. For enames, I mix in Alclad clear gloss.
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby LLadnar » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:15 pm

How many coats do you recommend?
I did 2 coats on a Sherman i'm finishing and when doing the panel line accenting I rubbed a little bit of in 2 spots.
this was my first line accenting attempt.
LLadnar

Postby Zaggy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 am

What sort of Lacquer thinners are you guys using, out of curiousity? I've never tried shooting Tamiya Acrylic with Lacquer thinners and am curious! :) Are we talking something like MM Lacquer thinner (that I use when shooting MM Enamels) or just something you get a Bunnings or something?

I've previously shot Tamiya Acrylics with Demineralised Water, Tamiya Acrylic thinner, Mr Color thinner and good old Metho as thinner - in all circumstances its about a 1:1 ratio as a starting point (more thinner if I am shooting with lower PSI and/or fine mottlings); I've also been known to add a drop of retarder in the mix too, when doing mottlings, to keep the nozzle clear for as long as possible.

I really can't pick much difference between the results of Demineralised water vs Tamiya vs Mr Color thinner, but Metho will DEFINITELY accelerate drying and can give a chalky finish, when the temperatures get higher. As for a grainy finish, well, shooting mostly late Luftwaffe or the occational modern USN subject, I tend to be chasing a more patchy kind of finish off the bat - as long as it dries FLAT, which it seems to for me!

Dan
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Let me say straight off that I'm VERY inexperienced at air-brushing. I'm on my first el-cheapo air-brush & my first ever spray-painted model so I'm reading this stuff with interest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but acrylic paint is water-based, yes? There hasn't been much mention of just using water as a thinner, but that's all I've been using in a 50/50 mix. Seems to be working ok so far. Metho sounds interesting, what about turps?
RAAFBrat
Devotee