Tyres

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Tyres

Postby Penders » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 pm

What's the best way to make tyres look like they are real in regards to being partially flat from the weight of the aircraft
Penders

Re: Tyres

Postby brad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:47 am

I can quickly think of three ways:

- File a flat part on the tyre. Crude but works ok on a smaller scale;
- Heat the tyre in warm water and then press the wheel down to get a bulge. This works particularly well on model rubber tyres as they are more pliable at a lower temperature. The harder plastics take a bit more care and time as you have to make sure you don't warp the entire wheel;
- Buy aftermarket wheels already prepared. These usually have more detail, too but add to the cost for, in my opinion, not a lot of extra detail.

I find the second option works fairly well but only use it on larger aircraft - small aircraft in my preferred scale, 1/72, don't have a lot of noticeable bulging happening.

Cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby Penders » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks BJ Ill give the second option a go on an old "tyre" and see how it goes
Penders

Postby brad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 am

No problems at all - let us know how you get on!
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby dogsbody » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am

I know that after-market resin tyres do add a lot to the cost and in the smaller scale of 1/72 are sometimes over-flattened and too bulged. Some of the newer Airfix kits have pre-flattened wheels that are not too bulged, but to my eye are a bit too flat. Nothing that a thin bit of styrene glued to the flat spot wouldn't fix.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody
Beginner