The Weather

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

The Weather

Postby Rabbitz » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi All,

The weather along the east coast is starting to give me the irits. During the week I wandered out to the shed and did some touch ups of black overspray onto white. Due to the humidity it took hours for the coats to cure enough to do another coat.

I went out there this afternoon with the idea of laying down the first of the clear coats. As I was getting organised I noticed the humidity was just under 80% and it was about to tip down outside.

Needless to say, that job is on hold. Oh well back to the idiot box I suppose.
Rabbitz
Beginner

Re: The Weather

Postby hughb » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Better to hold off than risk painting and ruin a paint job - gives you more time to research your next build!

I have the opposite problem, where I am it's so dry that spray can paint dries out too quick and leaves a pebbly finish. My last model spent several weeks bathing in oven cleaner after that paint job :roll:
hughb
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:23 pm

What sort of paint are you using Rabbitz? I paint inside with Tamiya acrylics & temp/humidity doesn't seem to be a problem.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Rabbitz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:33 pm

The touch ups were with Vallejo Model Air, but as it was to cover overspray I was using a brush - Model Air isn't brush friendly at the best of times.

The clears are Tamiya.
Rabbitz
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Interesting. Inside & thinning with Metho I haven't had a problem but we do keep the house at about 20 deg year round.
RAAFBrat
Devotee