Nose counter weight of a 1/72 Italeri F-35 JSF?

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Nose counter weight of a 1/72 Italeri F-35 JSF?

Postby Swede » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:58 am

I'm gonna break out of my comfort zone and build two modern jets, one Italeri F-35A (no specific aircraft as of yet, more just to "learn how to do it") and one Italeri F-35B (The RAF one), both in 1/72.

Maybe I can find some RAAF decals for the Model A one when this Corona thing is over. I tried to order one such decal set through a Swedish' online hobby store, who can order pretty much anything out there, but even he was unable to get hold of the Aussie F-35 decals!

Now, the kits look great! But as usual with Italeri they are some what fuzzy regarding the instruction manual, and they do not state how much counter weight is needed in the nose.

The Model A is gonna be built completely with out any ordinance, with all of the weapon bay doors closed, and the Model B is gonna be built with the whole ordinance range, including the laser-guided bombs underneath the wings.

I guess this means that the Model A needs less counter weight in the nose than the Model B? How much counter weight is needed for each one?

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
EVEN EXPERTS HAVE BEEN BEGINNERS
Swede
Devotee

Re: Nose counter weight of a 1/72 Italeri F-35 JSF?

Postby mozit » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:47 am

Decals from Steve at Roningraphicsaustralia (also *models on ebay). Dunno about the weight - yet!
Cheers
mozit
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:07 pm

I don't think any nose weight is required, the main landing gear is sufficiently aft of the bulk of the kit plastic.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby Swede » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks!

I'm gonna start these builds during the Spring of next year, but building modern jets requires more from you as a modeller, since they are manufactured in modern day factories, with a higher production standard compared to the propeller aircraft of WW2, that I've built so far.

I'm also gonna build a Me 262 with detailed engines, but first I have a few other kits to turn into finished aircraft.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 am

I'm continuing in this thread, since the aircraft in question is the same.

I'm wondering about the armament of the F-35.

The Model B kit contains an AIM 120 AMRAAM and a GBU-31 JDAM in each internal weapon bay plus the option of using up to six GBU-12 Paveway II on external hard points underneath the wings.

Is the JDAM really that common or can either the AMRAAM or the Paveway II be carried in its place?

As I wrote, the Model A will probably carry no visible armament what so ever, which leaves me with two AMRAAM and two JDAM more for the Model B.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee

Postby SpazSinbad » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 am

Not sure what your question will be OR IS however any answer can be complicated. This thread with links to other threads may help:

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52570 Post-SWAT weapons bay dimenions (esp. F-35B)
SpazSinbad
Devotee

Postby Swede » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 am

Thank you!

That really helps.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Devotee