Defense of Reich fuselage band, blue

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Defense of Reich fuselage band, blue

Postby arambo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I am building an Me 109 G-6 which has a blue " defence of the Reich " fuselage band. I have searched high and low to find if there is an RLM colour for this blue. Several refs say RLM 78 and others RLM 24. Eduard say its Gunze H 025 which seems to be available but I am getting more and more confused which colour is correct. As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be an RLM equivalent

If someone could shed some light as to the correct shade or paint brand with number I would be very appreciative.

Kind regards,

Tony
arambo
Beginner

Re: Defense of Reich fuselage band, blue

Postby SMackenzie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm

The Blue RDV band was assigned to JG54. Only III Gruppe used it as the other Gruppen were on the Eastern Front (where the bands were not used).

It was a dark Blue so RLM24 would be likely. RLM 78 is a light Blue so definitely not that one.
Last edited by SMackenzie on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMackenzie
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm

There were several bands that had blue, which one are we talking? JG 300 was blue/white/blue, I've seen it both a dark and light blue, but in this case I think Gunze H025 would be fine. For JG 7, 54 or KGJ 54 is usually darker, you could get away with RLM 24 here or I think I use USN dark blue, not sure if that is 100% correct but it often matches decals and art work.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby mozit » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 pm

I'd go RLM24. The blue is a mid to dark shade. IMHO RLM78 is far too light, although one of the charts I have shows JG300 with a lighter blue.
Cheers
mozit
Devotee

Postby erussell » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 am

RLM24 is commonly quoted. It's quite a bit lighter than USN blue. Even colour photos are not going to be definitive here but paint charts might help.
Here's RLM 24 compared to RLM65.
This is from the Kiroff appendix to the Merrick book.
You can probably use any medium blue colour without offending many people!
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models (redroomodels.com)
erussell
Devotee

Postby arambo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 am

Many thanks Guys,

Sorry I should have given more info. I am building Wilhelm Schilling of 9/JG54's aircraft as illustrated in Kagero Top Colours 2, Bf 109G Over Germany. Just got hold of Eagle Cal's decals for a similar aircraft and it says RLM 24 although the colour plate more matches the Gunze colour.
From all your replies it seems for JG54 the RLM 24 is the most correct.

Many thanks once again to all for the info you sent through. I am learning all the time!!

Kind regards, Tony
arambo
Beginner

Postby Swede » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm

According to the "rules" issued by RLM, the Defence of the Reich band was also ordered to be "900 mm wide", but in reality many Defence of the Reich units ignored this and applied it according to their own taste and the battle conditions. In other words, I think you can paint this band wider or narrower if you want to.

I'm also sure that the same would apply for the fuselage band colour. In some cases any dark blue-ish colour would be good enough, rather than spend a lot of time finding the correct RLM colour, when the important thing was that the USAAF bombers were shot down and the Luftwaffe pilot would survive to fight another day.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
EVEN EXPERTS HAVE BEEN BEGINNERS
Swede
Devotee