Modelling Clubs in Adelaide

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: Modelling Clubs in Adelaide

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the wealth of information. The Gawler idea is not set in stone - it's more a pin on a map as a starting point. We definitely aren't looking in the city. Up to 45 minutes commute from Edinburgh Park is kind of the limit. Pre-covid my commute was 1 3/4 to 2 hours each way...

We are also hoping for somewhere a little 'out of town' on a couple of acres, rather than in the 'burbs.

We plan to head down and have a look around at Christmas, to try and get a feel for these areas as we have not been there before.

Mozit;
When you said further easy did you mean Kaleeba, Cockatoo Valley, Sandy Creek (that sort of area)?
Rabbitz
Beginner

Postby mozit » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Well, that depends on where you have to go to work. Osborne is a bit longer from Cockatoo Valley - maybe up to 1 hour, but the places you mention are closer to the Northern Expressway than where I was thinking - more due east or south east of Edinburgh - Chain of Ponds and surrounding area. The roads will by quite winding until you get to Tea Tree Gully.
If you've never been to SA you really need to get over here for a couple of days and check out the surrounds.
Where are you coming from? On the news tonight they're saying restrictions with Vic are about to be eased.
Anyway, enough from me.
Cheers, good luck.
mozit
Devotee

Postby brad » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:30 am

Yeah Mozit touched a bit more on the issue of demographics, particularly around EDN. Adelaide is a very "North - South" city, being hemmed in to the east by the Mt Lofty Ranges. Accordingly, the houses at the extreme ends are where the, shall we say, "affordable housing" is.

I interpreted Mozit's "further east" comment as being into the hills around Kersbrook, Inglewood and Paracombe. Certainly far nicer areas, about 30-ish minutes to EDN and only a little further to the city, although the trade-off is the risk of bushfires (I've been a volunteer firefighter in the Adelaide hills and Barossa Valley for nearly 20 years and, yeah, each year of late feels more challenging than the last one). In fact, just this morning the results of a local survey on climate change in SA showed that bushfires were SA's biggest worry. Live there with this in mind and you'll be fine.

Sandy Creek and Kalbeeba are really just satellite settlements of Gawler. If you were looking there, then I would look a few more minutes up the road at Lyndoch or Williamstown.

If 45 minutes is your limit, then also take a look at most of the Barossa Valley. The Northern Expressway has made EDN under 40 minutes away from Tanunda and Nuriootpa with Angaston probably just touching that time limit. The trade-off is the trip to the city is over an hour by car on a good day (I usually take the train if the CBD is my destination).

Enjoy your trip over here at Christmas. Happy to catch up if you are so inclined.

Cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby Rabbitz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely take it on board and add it to the 'rich tapestry' of thoughts and decisions!
Rabbitz
Beginner

Previous