Modelling Clubs in Adelaide

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Modelling Clubs in Adelaide

Postby Rabbitz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi All,

Due to the efforts of the former SA Senator Christopher Pyne, the vast majority of the industry I work in has or is relocating to South Oz.

So sometime early next year, Covid-19 notwithstanding, we may be relocating to Adelaide or thereabouts.

As the work will be based at Edinburgh Parks or Osbourne we are looking to move to somewhere around Gawler so we are not in the city but not that far from work.

Are there any model clubs/societies around that way?
Rabbitz
Beginner

Re: Modelling Clubs in Adelaide

Postby harvs73 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Commiserations on your move :-(

I moved from there at the beginning of the year as I worked on Edinburgh base. Unfortunately the only model club I am aware of in Adelaide is SAPMA which generally meets on the other side of town. There is one advantage in that you can go to Aeroworks (also on the other side of town) or one of the other slightly expensive model shops that are in Adelaide. I am not aware of anything out Gawler way.

http://www.saplasticmodellers.com.au/?f ... 4WXPo6g-cU
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Site Admin

Postby Rabbitz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Much appreciated.

I thought, new town, it might be a way of getting to know some folk.

To be honest, it is time for us to get out of Sydney and the opportunity came up, so here we go. My wife is a country girl and has had enough of the big smoke after 22 years. The difference in real estate prices also makes it a viable option.

I am glad to hear there are some hobby/models store options.
Rabbitz
Beginner

Postby harvs73 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:52 pm

The best thing is that if you go to Gawler you are close to the Barrossa if you are in to good food and good wine. Gawler is also a nice place in the country (sort of) and is actually not that far from the city. The biggest thing for you is getting used to the insane drivers, they are worse than Sydney.

Aeroworks is the best shop with a few more floating around Adelaide though I normally went to Craig at Aeroworks. SAPMA is friendly and the annual model show is not too bad as the models are great and some retailers come from out of town, including Red Roo.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Site Admin

Postby Timmy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:58 pm

Gawler itself has a hobby shop called Somerset Models, although I have only bought things from their stall at shows.

Aeroworks is a great place to pick up kits and supplies although that would be quite a drive. Closer to Gawler is Hobby Habit in Blair Athol however their prices are on the higher side and they mainly cater for RC. Modelworld and Military Hobbies are both just outside of the city and have terrific owners.

There are two major shows every year - SAPMA’s expo held at Immanuel College and Props, Jets and Rotors at the SA Aviation Museum.
Timmy
Devotee

Postby croquy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:11 pm

If I recall correctly, there often is an informal hangout at Aeroworks on Friday mornings. A good way to get to know people. When Timmy says that Modelworld and Military Hobbies are just outside of the city, that is technically true, but given that Adelaide has a relatively small CBD, everything close tot he city limits is actually really close of each other, too. If you started an easy cruise by bike or car at the Greenhill Rd / King William Rd intersection, you could start with Military Hobbies, take a peek into Orient Express across the street (if you need scenery items), then cruise to Modelworld (very nice shop) and then head south to Hobby Habit and Aeroworks. Five shops within a 20 min driving radius - not bad!

As an aside, if your wife needs a country fix, look at places around Chain of Ponds, Kersbrook, Humbug Scrub etc. It's not far from where you say you will be working, but it is really beautiful country up that way.

Happy moving and settling in,

Patrick
croquy
Devotee

Postby brad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:40 am

G'day Rabbitz,

I live in the Barossa which is about 20 minutes from Gawler. I've never been involved in a model club so can't comment on that, sorry. I'm aware of SAPMA but don't have any experience with them.

Gawler is ok but don't think of it as a country town but more of an outer suburb (with all the issues that an outer suburb has....). Lots of people live there but the main street has been destroyed by the big retailers setting up on the outskirts and drawing the shoppers out to them. Certainly don't expect there to be a country feel to the place.

Timmy is correct with Somerset Models. They recently moved into bigger and better premises in Gawler and are a good place to go for modelling things. They have their roots in model railways but they are not scared to try new things and so I try and support them when I can.

As Patrick mentioned, there are also a few good stores down in town and around the suburbs but you really need a car here. Adelaide used to be called the 20 minute city because most things you needed were 20 minutes tops to get to - it's more of a 35 minute city now. Biking is easy, though - Adelaide is pretty flat and there is a growing array of tracks. Most hobby stores, too, are open Sundays (Somerset on Saturdays only)

I'd also agree with Patrick on "more country" places. The Adelaide Hills are nice and certainly more country than Gawler but still not too far away - join in the community and they will definitly welcome you. A friend of mine works at DSTO and lives near Kersbrook which is less than 30 minutes away from his work at EDN and absolutely loves it. Live in the hills, though, and you will definitely be relying on that car. Be aware, too, that because of that "20-minute city" mentality, any friends you make who live in the suburbs won't be too keen on visiting you in Gawler or the hills - 30 minutes is just too far....but you visiting them is ok because "you're used to it".

Overall, Adelaide isn't a bad place. It doesn't have the night life of Sydney nor does it have the "things to do" that a big city has but then it also doesn't have many of the big city issues, either - no place is perfect, frankly.

Enjoy your move, wherever and whenever it might be.

Happy to chat more if you want to know more.

Cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm about to move out of Adelaide again after three years. I did go to one SAPMA meeting but wasn't impressed but do go and have a look. I second the comments re Somerset Models and Aeroworks. I wasn't impressed with Military Models but Modelworks is a nice little spot, too. I got all my supplies and some new kits through Craig as it ended up being cheaper than ordering direct from Hannants. I'm going to miss that shop in Canberra but I do get to rejoin the ACTSMS!
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby croquy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Be aware, too, that because of that "20-minute city" mentality, any friends you make who live in the suburbs won't be too keen on visiting you in Gawler or the hills - 30 minutes is just too far....but you visiting them is ok because "you're used to it".

So true! :D :D :D

P.
croquy
Devotee

Postby mozit » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Although tempted, I wasn't going to initiate discussion on suburb demographics for fear of getting hammered, but seeing as it has now been brought up, I agree totally with Patrick and Brad. Elizabeth and Davoren Park are arguably the Adelaide suburbs with the highest crime rate, and it seems to be spreading north to Gawler. I would turn my focus eastwards to other areas as have already been mentioned.
And as for hobby shops, yes Aeroworks is the best for aircraft and Craig will get almost anything in for you at a good price (if he can source it). His shop is only open Fraiday and on Saturday mornings, but you can contact him at other times. Andrew at Military Hobbies is worth a look but focuses a bit more on diecast and other stuff. John at Modelworld is worth a look if you want something second-hand but it is a small shop with other focal points as well, and Hobby Habit is a shop of last resort as they're expensive. But looking online with sellers like Modelnerds is also excellent value.
I haven't looked at clubs yet but plan to soon.
Hope this helps in some way.
mozit
Devotee

Next