Decal Film

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Decal Film

Postby mozit » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:26 am

Hi all.
I need to restore some old decals. What decal film are you all using, and where can I get it from?
Thanks
mozit
Devotee

Re: Decal Film

Postby bell209 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:13 am

Microscale Decal Setting Solution. BNA sell it. I also use Future regularly (not available here) but have also used Pascoe's Long Life Self Shine Floor Polish (from Bunnings) with success. The first and third options needed a couple of light coats for best reults.
Rob

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
1/48 Classic Airframes de Havilland Vampire Mk.35
1/48 Revell SNJ Texan
1/72 Hasegawa SP-2H Neptune
bell209
Devotee

Postby mozit » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Thanks Rob. I didn't think of using Future/Pledge. Doh! I have that, and the Microscale setting solution. The sertting solution works?? Wow, I would never have thought of trying that. Might give them a go.
I was looking at getting some Microscale Decal Film from O/S and/or I also saw a product from Badger - Modelflex Liquid Decal Film - sold in Australia. Anyone got opinions on those?
Cheers
mozit
Devotee

Postby erussell » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:00 pm

mozit wrote:I need to restore some old decals.

It depends on what you mean by restore. If you mean stopping them from breaking up when you put them in water, we have tried several alternatives. How they work depends on the degree of degradation of the decals. From our comparative tests the most effective one was Testors Decal Bonder.
http://www.hhq.com.au/product/7301-test ... -85g-spray
This is available in many model shops.
if you want to restore colour etc to faded decals, thin out some of the Japanese board-like decals or make crappy decals better quality, basically, you can't.
Ed Russell @ Red Roo Models (redroomodels.com)
erussell
Devotee

Postby mozit » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks Ed. Yes, just trying to stop them disintegrating.
Might have to hassle Craig for some.
Cheers
mozit
Devotee