Korean Firefly spinner colours

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: Korean Firefly spinner colours

Postby rhagger » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 pm

I suspect the Sandberg colour photos showing the red spinners were taken after HMAS Sydney's first tour, noting also the lack of black/white stripes, the grey tails with white 'K', and the different style of fuselage code numbers cf the pictures I referred to in my initial post.

The information I was given by the FAAM noted that coloured spinners were introduced at some stage( later than the first tour), but precisely when is not known.

The link you provided comments on colour and markings in the first tour cf 2nd tour of Korea.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/wp-content/upl ... chemes.pdf

I don't know if the FAAM has any colour photos of the early period.

..so I certainly agree that red spinners were carried after the first tour, but don't know if they were in any number during the first tour ( Oct 1951 - Jan 1952)

regards,Robert
rhagger
Devotee

Postby SpazSinbad » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:43 am

OK fair enough 'stripe' comment. I'll have to ask Sandy's son again but 'Sandy' himself is not in good memory shape at his age at moment.
SpazSinbad
Devotee

Postby Biggles81 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:48 am

A scan of Firefly photos from the AWM website would indicate a mix of sky, black, possible EDSG and/or Red depending on your interpretation of the grayscale. All on RAN Fireflys with Korean ID stripes. A similar conundrum is thrown up when looking at Sea Fury spinners, although that is limited to Sky, EDSG, possible Red and possible white.
Biggles81
Devotee

Previous