Interior colour of Raaf Tiger Moths

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Interior colour of Raaf Tiger Moths

Postby Tich » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Greetings all,
I presumed the the interior cockpit colour of RAAF WW2 Tiger Moth trainers would be interior green. I have just noted another modeller stating that they were painted silver. Can anyone confirm which colour is correct ?
Thanks,
Tich.
Tich
Beginner

Re: Interior colour of Raaf Tiger Moths

Postby Peter Roberts » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:25 am

Are you talking cockpit components, such as equipment or framing, or the walls and covering?
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby Tich » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Peter,

Mainly the seats, bulkheads,fuselage sides,tubular framing and floor. The Airfix instructions indicate interior Green for all the aforementioned items.
Tich
Beginner

Postby Peter Roberts » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:09 am

Some walk around shots here

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/ ... 0Moth.html

I think this is a restored aircraft so can't vouch for the accuracy to the original finish.

Maybe worth googling for other walk around collections?
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby Tich » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:45 am

Peter,

Thanks again. I've googled stacks of walk around interior shots and no two seem to be the same, however, I've not seen any that are painted all silver. As no one else seems to be able to vouch for the silver I intend to go with interior Green for most of the interior.
Tich
Beginner

Postby Peter Roberts » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Can be a royal PITA when you keep getting conflicting info aint it!

May also be worth a post on Brit Modeller? Some modellers there very knowledgeable on all things Brit, unless Tigers varied from country to country with their build (?) - now that wouldn't surprise me either.
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:03 pm

It must be remembered that no Tiger Linen covering would have survived more than 10 years at best, all the preserved ones would have been re-bagged, so useless for this, from the outset they were doped in a Red Oxide pigment that was unstable to UV, and painted with a silver paint to preserve that, would not be unusual to see the Red Dope on the inside, where sunlight would destroy it's properties also, so it's always possible when manufactured they could be painted silver on the inside as well, not sure how De Havilland Australia might have done it, and doubt there are any old timers left to tell us, go with what you prefer.
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby Tich » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Graeme,

Thanks for that. I flew in a Tiger Moth in the late 50's but, of course, can't remember the cockpit details.It appears it's not quite as simple as I thought so, I'll take your suggestion and go with my preference.

Tich
Tich
Beginner