Strengthening joins query

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Strengthening joins query

Postby rodenlee » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello learned modelling friends.
I have a question which has been bothering me and I seek your advice please.

I have seen a number of people adding strengthening pins when fixing butt- jointed wings /tailplane to fuselages (e.g. Classic Airframes kits)?

I am perplexed as to how one does this. For example how do you drill holes in the tailplane and fuselage so that they line up to allow a pin to be fitted??

Thanks for any advice...
Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Re: Strengthening joins query

Postby ericg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm

I line most of my stuff up by eye but occasionally I will cut a piece of brass rod that is marginally longer than the hole that it will go into, sharpen the end of it and then insert it into the hole In one part with the sharp end pointing outwards. You can then press the two parts together that you wish to join and the sharp point of the rod will leave an indent on the other surface. Drill a hole where the indent is, pull the sharpened rod out and then replace it with a longer rod.

Hope that helps.

Eric.
ericg
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Thanks Eric.
That is really helpful.
Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby Dave Brewer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 am

I do exactly the same as Eric;as he said eyeballing is generally fine for thin parts like ailerons, once you've put a matching reference mark on the pair of parts,but I don't take chances on thicker jobs like a wing to wing root join or a tailplane,except a thin small scale one.Hope this makes sense Shaun,
Cheers,
Dave.
Dave Brewer
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks Dave

I am working on a Classic Airframes Canberra I found in the "cupboard of Doom" so shall give that a shot.

Cheers mate
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby Peter Roberts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:19 pm

Thank you gentlemen, great question, very helpful replies, notes taken! :)
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby TiG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Great tip. I'm going to have to do something similar with a 48 scale Dragon Ta154 Moskito add I've heard the wings will droop over time if not pinned.
On the bench: 1:48 Eduard Bf110-G2 Profipack.
"To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often"
Winston Churchill
TiG
Devotee

Postby RayS » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:57 am

My process is a bit more involved, I use a clutch pencil to mark the places I am going to place the pin.

I draw a line along the centre line of the part (wing, tail plane or vertical stab,) and adjoining surface of the fuselage, then draw a perpendicular line at the points where the pins will go on the part to be added to the fuselage. I extend this line 'around the corner' onto the horizontal surfaces ofm say the the wing or stab so that you can see the location where the pin will on the top or bottom of the wing. I then offer the wing/stab up to the fuselage and then transfer the visible lines across to it. remove the wing stab and then draw the line down the root to give you corresponding cross marks.

YOu can see it here on the fuselage for the vertical stab location, holes already drilled

and here on the Convair, pins already added to the stab and faint pencil marks visible
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:00 am

A simple yet clever solution you have there Ray...more grist for the mill

Thanks for sharing your idea!

Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby AndrewPerren » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Another thing to remember - if you are using multiple brass wire pins ( I like to always pin my missiles and bombs etc).

Use the position of one to determine the position of the other. I'll explain.

If I am using 2 pins to mount a missile to a pylon. I will drill and glue the two pins into the missile first. Leave them a little longer than required. I find it easier if they are in line with the axis of the missile - front to back. Leave the front one a little longer (2-3mm) than the back and line up and drill the first hole on the receiving side. Insert the slightly longer pin 2-3mm until the rear pin hits. Using the first pin as an axis, you can use the second brass pin to slightly mark an arc which will exactly match the location of the second hole. Drill the second hole and deepen both and or trim the pins to get that snug fit.
Regards

Andrew P (A1)
AndrewPerren
Devotee