New subsections needed

AMI Forum Support Bug Fixes and enhancement requests
Report any bugs in the AMI Forum or enhancements you would like to see here. We will keep a log and provide updates when available.

New subsections needed

Postby Raverdave » Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Hello and thanks for a great forum. here are lots of interesting types of people here with a huge wealth of info.

Just o make life a little bit easier, what are the chances of having five new subsections?

*Aircraft
*Armour
*Ships
*Science Fiction
*Other

This would make it a lot easier when I am looking for threads just on a subject rather than having to trawl through the entire site. Just a though and again thanks for a great site.

Cheers
Raverdave
Devotee

Re: New subsections needed

Postby Creative Models Australia » Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey Dave,

I suggested something similar earlier. I would probably reccomend splitting the readers models forum first in to works in prgress/blogs and completed models.

Are you suggesting new forums as general topics, or for model pics etc
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby Raverdave » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Well whichever is easier to do to start with.......I find it a real pain to have to trawl through all of the posts to find anything to do with ships or subject specific items such as Cars by way of example. All of the other model forums on the net have sub sections relating too a specific subject so it would be nice to have the same here. So you could have an aluminum cloud section (aircraft), or a skimmer section (ships) etc etc etc.
Raverdave
Devotee

Postby admin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:13 pm

My main reason for not doing this originally was that the majority of modellers that visit did aircraft with minimal ships or ground targets. Like the review section I will add some more topics and see how they go. At the moment I think it will be limited to the following:
- Ground ie all things that move on land - vehicles, figures etc
- Air ie things that fly in the sky
- Seaborne ie things that go on or under the water
- Others - all others including Sci-fi.

This not saying anything against areas other than aircraft but I am unsure on the quantity of posts we get for them. Once I see a decent following for a specific type of modelling eg sci-fi I will create a seperate forum for it.

I will hopefully do that this weekend.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Postby Raverdave » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks for the response David. I for one will be doing my bit for the skimmers. I enjoy this forum because it is local and thus relevant rather than reading international forums where they talk about things that we don't see on our shelves over here (not kits but other stuff). Plus dealing with the locals on this forum I get the right advice. Take my post the other day about Ezyline, I got a response and as a result spent some $$ with a Aussie supplier Redroo.
Soooooooo keeping my interest here does pay in $$$$$, in one way or another.

Cheers
Raverdave
Devotee

Postby Raverdave » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi David, any chance of an update on when these changes will be put into effect???
Raverdave
Devotee

Postby Raverdave » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Bump.

Any updates on this thread?
Raverdave
Devotee

Postby Raverdave » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 am

Bump ................again. ;-)
Raverdave
Devotee

Postby wally » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 am

Look if I may add my opinion (and its only my opinion) Breaking things up into subsections means that I will not go to see ships or trucks armour etc..not my bag.

With AMI the way it is set up now, I open up "Active Topics" on opening that you can see all the posts and looking at the topic titles I can pick and choose what I want to read, you can see whether its gonna be a sub, oh beauty 'll look at that, or an ASLAV..yawn pass. If it is subsectioned I dare say a great number of people will not see some what for them is "off topic" stuff.
Truth is often I will look at the off topic stuff and sometimes gain something from doing so. Subsectioning is going to close off any cross pollination

If I had my druthers..leave it as is
wally
Devotee

Postby admin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 am

It really comes down to how you look at the website. If you use the 'New posts' button you will see everything no matter where it is posted. If you just want your own line of interest you may well just look in that subsection. I am not concerned with either way now except to do it properly I would need to go back through every single topic and put them into the relevant sub-section. I could of course just leave it as is and start from now but it would look and be untidy.

I will start a poll (hoepfully tonight) to see what the majority want as it doesn't rally worry me either way.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Next